FIDGETECH EDUCATION PROGRAM
FIDGETECH ED works with local colleges, universities and training institutes in the Willamette Valley, to support young adults on the autism spectrum who want to pursue a technical educational objective with on-campus mentors and other services.
On-Campus Daily at Chemeketa or PCC
- Enrollment/Advising: FIDGETECH ED works with college advisors, parents, and program members to assist in the college enrollment process. Services include help with choosing the appropriate courses and professors.
- Success Tracking: program members meet weekly with FIDGETECH ED staff to help with educational goal setting. Success tracking enables members to develop big picture thinking with regard to their community college career and beyond.
- Mentoring: FIDGETECH ED works with college advisors, parents, and program members to assess student needs and mentor students through the college process. Services include assessing and navigating the resources and accommodations provided by the community college.
- Academic Tutor Support: FIDGETECH ED works with college staff and program members to facilitate tutoring support sessions weekly. These sessions are subject matter focused as well as used to support healthy study habits.
- Internship support: FIDGETECH ED works with college staff, organizations, and program members to assist in finding and securing technical internships for courses with internship credits.
- Life and Social Skills Training: FIDGETECH ED collaborates with Synergy Autism Center in Portland to mentor members with a variety of life and social skills as applied to navigating the college life (such as communication, working in groups, asking questions, interacting with professors, and building self-esteem).
FIDGETECH members have the opportunity to participate in member activities and hear from a variety of guest speakers which vary throughout the program. Speakers might include: professionals in technology, authors, and business owners
- Enrollment/advisement | 1 session/term
- Academic tutor support | weekly as needed
- Mentor/coaching | weekly as needed
- Success tracking | 1 session/week
- Internship support | term-based as needed
- Life and social skills training | 1 session/week
- Community events/guests | 4 events/term